POST GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
PROFESSIONAL COURSE ON GLOBAL MIGRATION
UP-CIFAL Philippines is offering a Professional Course on Global Migration (PCGM). It aims to deepen the critical understanding of Filipino migration practitioners on key aspects of human mobility and migration governance in the context of SDGs, Global Compact for Migration (GCM), and other international and local instruments so they can come up with responsive plans or programs applicable to their line of work and organization.
The course is meant to be a continuing education for professionals, particularly those at the frontline of migration and development work. A joint certificate from the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and UP-CIFAL Philippines will be given after the presentation of the capstone project and after completing the requirements of each module.
UP-CIFAL Philippines will launch the PCGM in the last quarter of 2019.
1. To understand the concept of migration as a global and national occurrence along with its issues, including its underlying drivers, trends, challenges, and pathways;
2. Analyze the multifaceted nature and scope of international migration as embodied in the United Nations’ Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM) and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
3. Analyze challenges and opportunities on migration using interdisciplinary and multi-stakeholder outlooks;
4. Broaden the perspective and understanding on migration governance as this relates to policy action and socioeconomic development planning and approaches;
5. Explore innovative and practical solutions responsive to the challenges of international migration and sustainable development; and
6. Challenge learners to contribute to specific concerns of the agency or advocacy
• Priority is given to those working in government agencies
• At the frontline of migration and advocacy work
• Graduate students with a minimum of 2 years work experience
• Those who may be interested in a continuing education
Learners at the end of the course would achieve:
1. A broad understanding of migration as well as its underlying challenges and opportunities and its relation to international cooperation, local governance, and development;
2. A critical understanding of international migration and its link to sustainable development, gender equality, and human rights;
3. Skills in integrating their acquired knowledge to a practical application or solutions on migration challenges.
The course adopts a blended learning approach:
a. Face-to-face learning
b. Interactive group discussions and workshops
c. Webinars and online learning
d. Guided applied learning exercises
LIST OF MODULES
Module 1. Migration in the 21st Century: Origins, Concepts, and Role in Sustainable Development
Module 2. Migration, International Laws, Rules-Based Agreements, and Human Rights
Module 3. Dimensions of Migration: Economic, Social, and Cultural Impacts
Module 4. Migration Governance I: Migration Information and Data Utilization
Module 5. Migration Governance II: From Facilitating Mobility to Crisis Respondence
Module 6. Migration Governance III: Reintegration and Strategic Development
Module 7. Capstone Project: Integrating Migration in Development Policies and Plans
For more information, please contact us at [email protected]